Skip to main content

Three: Treatment One: Chemotherapy


Three: Treatment One: Chemotherapy

On December 27th, 2016, my husband and I met my parents at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Voorhees, NJ. We met with mom’s main oncologist, and a different doctor, Dr. Alex.  According to my mom, she loved him immediately and felt very comfortable.  Really, that’s all that mattered. That other doctor who I mentioned earlier about misdiagnosing my mom with pancreatic cancer did not bode well. My mom didn’t’ care for his bedside manners and she had every right to feel that way.  She was the patient after all. I remember briefly mentioning to Dr. Alex about cells on mom’s pancreas, “stage 4 pancreatic.”  And he calmly said to me, “well when we looked at your mom’s scans, there was nothing on the pancreas. Forget about the pancreas.  She was just misdiagnosed.”  I remember feeling relieved and irked at the same time.  He said it in a tone that was so calm and nonchalant, as if he was getting the check for a coffee. I guess we, the patients and family members always have doctors and hospitals built up so high in our minds, that we forget they are just doing their job every day.  There’s a reason they usually will always have a calm demeanor. I get it now. 

I remember it being an overall good visit and I was glad my husband and I came along.  The three of us wanted to take a peek at mom’s scan when the doctor asked if anyone wanted to take a look. Mom didn’t want to see it. We then learned that those cancerous cells were all over her liver.  It looked like a leopard’s stomach.  The Doctor would then discuss the next steps in treatment which would be chemo once every other week and she’d get a port implanted the following week (on her 66th birthday). We all left the meeting feeling semi-hopeful, mom felt really happy with the new doctor and my mom appeared positive. We then took my parents to a hole-in-the-wall, but delicious Italian restaurant which we’ve been telling my parents about for a long time.  It was a lovely night and I even think my mom enjoyed a glass of wine with dinner.

My mom started her first chemotherapy treatment on January 18th, 2017.  The first seven months seemed like a piece of cake, compared to the rest of 2017.  I say this because thankfully, she didn’t have too many setbacks just yet.  She was just doing what the doctors asked of her and received her scheduled treatments.  She even worked at her part time job two-three days a week during this time.  She was living her life and doing her best every day, while going through something like this.  I remember feeling so proud of her. I’d say this was all happening up until around the end of August, early September. We really had a great summer.  Mom went to the beach at least twice, and one of those times it was a “girls” day.  My daughter, mom and I met my Aunt Kate, who lives twenty minutes from Ocean City for a fun beach day.  And when my mom still had decent shreds of energy, she would help me with my daughter if I needed it and even watch her at her house for a few hours.

Mom never lost all of her hair, but it had eventually gotten much thinner.  I even helped her pick out a wig at a wig shop one afternoon in March.  The name of the shop was called Wig-A-Do and I thought it was so adorable. She wasn’t losing much hair yet, but for it to be mostly covered by her insurance, I think she had to get it sooner than later. And in case you weren’t aware, wigs have names!  Yes, you read that right.  Each wig, at least at Wig-A-Do, had names. The owner was a lovely, sweet woman and was very helpful.  She brought out one wig that resembled mom’s hairstyle perfectly and mom loved it.  The best part was that this wig was named Dayna. I remember saying to the owner, “that’s my name!”  Minus the Y.  How fitting. I then took my mom out to dinner at a nearby Italian spot.  We both ordered a cup of pasta Fagioli and then split a huge turkey wrap.  I remember this was typical whenever I went out to eat with my mom.  She was never really into eating large portions and neither was I, so we would always split something.  We both ate our own bags of chips though, because duh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two: Mother and Daughter

Two: Mother and Daughter If anyone liked putting the cart before the horse, it was my mom. Her sweet, caring and sensitive nature made up for her almost always jumping to conclusions in almost any given situation. Now that I think about it, my memory only truly recalls that particular flaw of my mom getting the best of me. Whenever I had something to tell her, regardless of its importance, she wasn’t the best listener. She would never just take the information at hand, process it, and then make an informed decision.   At least that was my hope; whenever I’d call her with my fingers crossed. Flaw or not, she was a pro at making assumptions. Here’s a fun story for ya. When our daughter was three months old, my husband and I decided to get her baptized. Being non-religious folk, both my husband and I purely went along with the baptism to mainly please both of our mother’s.   For the record, we both didn’t really have an opinion on it, but knew it would be helpful one day for

Five: Week of Hell Timeline

Five:   Week of Hell Timeline 2/5- Emergency room.   They finally moved mom to the ICU around 11pm.   My dad and I went home around 9pm once we knew they had a hospital room for her. 2/6- Full day in ICU, lots of visitors of family and friends.   Dad and I had a private conversation with Palliative care and discussed and eventually confirmed placing mom in local hospice care provided by Samaritan. We also spoke with many different doctors which is the usual in this scenario. The building was on the same grounds as the hospital.   It was very convenient. 2/7- Mom’s last day in ICU until around 8pm when they moved her to hospice.   One of my cousin’s and my husband stayed with my dad and I until they were about to transfer mom.   Dad and I stayed until mom was settled. This was the first day my in-laws brought my daughter by to say hello and see her Nana.   Though my mom looked nothing like herself, I wanted Claire to see her and vice versa.   They both deserved that.

On My Mind More

It's a new month. I haven't written in this space for a while but felt compelled to today. It's June and that's just crazy talk right there.  June has a lot of my mom in it.  Not a day goes by that I don't think of my mom but I have my "months" I like to say, where she's more prominent for me than other months.  June 11th would have been my parents' 41st wedding anniversary, and you know what?  just because she's gone, it doesn't suddenly stop the date they got married.  It doesn't ruin anything.  That will forever be their anniversary and a special day with or without her.  I can't imagine the pain my dad feels each year on that day, I am sure it's not easy at all.  But he can also reflect back on that day and think of the amazing memories they shared together.  June 11th also marks 16 months since she left us.  It's still so surreal yet very real. I had a very real and vivid dream about my mom last night.  She had bough