Skip to main content

On My Mind More


It's a new month. I haven't written in this space for a while but felt compelled to today. It's June and that's just crazy talk right there.  June has a lot of my mom in it.  Not a day goes by that I don't think of my mom but I have my "months" I like to say, where she's more prominent for me than other months.  June 11th would have been my parents' 41st wedding anniversary, and you know what?  just because she's gone, it doesn't suddenly stop the date they got married.  It doesn't ruin anything.  That will forever be their anniversary and a special day with or without her.  I can't imagine the pain my dad feels each year on that day, I am sure it's not easy at all.  But he can also reflect back on that day and think of the amazing memories they shared together.

 June 11th also marks 16 months since she left us.  It's still so surreal yet very real. I had a very real and vivid dream about my mom last night.  She had bought books for Claire which she sent to us from Amazon, which she'd never do because the next time we would see her, she'd just give it to me- not just books in a plastic bag.  It never had to be a special occasion for my mother to wrap a gift beautifully, or give a fancy gift bag with probably 18 sheets of purple and pink tissue paper inside.  But this dream had the typical Amazon shipped box, but then I saw her and I said to her, " mom, it's been too long since we've seen you."  She looked healthy but that's all I really remember about her appearance.  She then began crying as I was showing her a video of my daughter Claire, walking down the aisle as a flower girl at my best friends wedding which just happened a month ago. It was the exact video that my mother in law took of my daughter walking down.  My mom cried for a minute, looked up at me and said, "can I watch this later.  I can't watch this right now."  


I'm not really sure what that all meant, dreams are always so strange, but her tone was happy and I know her tears were too.  I'm not a religious person and I'm hardly spiritual, but I like to think whenever I dream about deceased loved ones, that they are trying to reach out to me.  And on a run this morning, a really good 80s song came on that instantly made me think of my mom because I remember being in the car with her when I was little and that song would come on.  I got teary eyed for a minute but felt happy.

So I'm not sure how June will be for me; maybe a little more emotional, maybe I'll look through old photos again and reminisce.  I can only hope that she's always right by my side because on days I wish I could just meet her for coffee at Starbucks, or just talk, I really need her and hope she's there giving me strength.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two: Mother and Daughter

Two: Mother and Daughter If anyone liked putting the cart before the horse, it was my mom. Her sweet, caring and sensitive nature made up for her almost always jumping to conclusions in almost any given situation. Now that I think about it, my memory only truly recalls that particular flaw of my mom getting the best of me. Whenever I had something to tell her, regardless of its importance, she wasn’t the best listener. She would never just take the information at hand, process it, and then make an informed decision.   At least that was my hope; whenever I’d call her with my fingers crossed. Flaw or not, she was a pro at making assumptions. Here’s a fun story for ya. When our daughter was three months old, my husband and I decided to get her baptized. Being non-religious folk, both my husband and I purely went along with the baptism to mainly please both of our mother’s.   For the record, we both didn’t really have an opinion on it, but knew it would be helpful one day for

Five: Week of Hell Timeline

Five:   Week of Hell Timeline 2/5- Emergency room.   They finally moved mom to the ICU around 11pm.   My dad and I went home around 9pm once we knew they had a hospital room for her. 2/6- Full day in ICU, lots of visitors of family and friends.   Dad and I had a private conversation with Palliative care and discussed and eventually confirmed placing mom in local hospice care provided by Samaritan. We also spoke with many different doctors which is the usual in this scenario. The building was on the same grounds as the hospital.   It was very convenient. 2/7- Mom’s last day in ICU until around 8pm when they moved her to hospice.   One of my cousin’s and my husband stayed with my dad and I until they were about to transfer mom.   Dad and I stayed until mom was settled. This was the first day my in-laws brought my daughter by to say hello and see her Nana.   Though my mom looked nothing like herself, I wanted Claire to see her and vice versa.   They both deserved that.

Three: Treatment One: Chemotherapy

Three: Treatment One: Chemotherapy On December 27 th , 2016, my husband and I met my parents at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Voorhees, NJ. We met with mom’s main oncologist, and a different doctor, Dr. Alex.   According to my mom, she loved him immediately and felt very comfortable.   Really, that’s all that mattered. That other doctor who I mentioned earlier about misdiagnosing my mom with pancreatic cancer did not bode well. My mom didn’t’ care for his bedside manners and she had every right to feel that way.   She was the patient after all. I remember briefly mentioning to Dr. Alex about cells on mom’s pancreas, “stage 4 pancreatic.”   And he calmly said to me, “well when we looked at your mom’s scans, there was nothing on the pancreas. Forget about the pancreas.   She was just misdiagnosed.”   I remember feeling relieved and irked at the same time.   He said it in a tone that was so calm and nonchalant, as if he was getting the check for a coffee. I guess we, the patients and